Send via SMS

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Ruskin Bond

A dear friend gifted me an amazing book recently. It is "Friends in Small Places- Ruskin Bond's Unforgettable People". [Thank you.] My exposure to Bond had been very limited . Apart from a stray short story in my english curriculum, I hadn't read much of him. My sister, who usually tells me about the good books to read, once discouraged me from picking up a Ruskin Bond book in a library. I don't recall the reason. She probably wanted me to read more complex work at that time.

This book is a delightful collection of extracts from Bond's various books and short stories. It feels like a crash course in his writing. The thing that prompted this post was the following line which I read in the story "Bhabhiji and Her Family":

"Life is so very dull for middle-class teenagers in Delhi that it is only natural that they should lean so heavily on escapist entertainment."

It refers to a teenage girl's love for movies in 1960s. I think the statement still holds true.

2 Comments:

At September 11, 2005 12:34 PM, Blogger Eastmancolour said...

AWESOME !!
I need some good story books :)

you know, it's weird how people look at you all funny when you want a "story book". AWwwWW COME ON ! Just coz i'm 25 doesn't mean I need to get "novels" and "BOOKS" that start with 5 syllable words. I just want a STORY BOOK !! :)

Ok...honestly though - not the Enid Blyton types either...which wait one ONE scene for about 3 pages, describing how dirty the kid looked...the emotion in his eyes... the colour of his shirt..the unkempt hair.. the unclean black shoes..and whatever blah de blah.

Ruskin Bond - if ever..must've read him just once. Must have liked it...coz didnt ever complain :D

CHEERS :D READ ON ! send me some too :D

 
At September 11, 2005 9:01 PM, Blogger Domesticated Bachelor said...

i love ruskin bond... try his earlier works first... they have a ruskin bond omnibus out now in 2 or 3 volumes. Start with room on the roof.... Loved it absolutely

 

Post a Comment

<< Home