Send via SMS

Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Vacations So Far...

Read a few posts where the bloggers chronicled what they have been doing during the vacations. Thought I should do the same. A week into my vacations, my mom had a surgery scheduled and she was duly hospitalized. The week had been spent preparing half-heartedly for taking over the responsibility of running the house and mentally debating whether I was being horrid by wanting to relax instead of helping mom prepare for what lay ahead. Thanks sis for the support at that time!

After mom was hospitalized, I had to stay with her during the entire stay at the hospital and I guess I learnt quite a few things. There were times when I felt very alone, cried, didn't know what to do. Thankfully, the operation was carried out excellently and mom did not have any trouble. We were discharged within two days and were home!

Unfortunately, the antibiotics didn't suit her and after an awful night, she had to be taken back to the hospital because of dehydration. The overwhelming feeling of having failed her gripped me. Why didn't I insist on her having more fluids? Inexperience and exhaustion is what my mind has conveniently attributed as the cause. I don't think I want to challenge it. (Note to readers: If you want to prevent dehydration in a patient, give them water...even if it makes them puke...keep giving water or other fluids. If the patient is diabetic, sweetened liquids are still fine because the person needs it at that time. )

Calling an ambulance, traveling in it alone with a very sick mother (dad followed in his car), spending the day in emergency and all that happened there, unforgettable.

Mom recovered with another couple of days of hospitalisation and we came back.

Since then I have been battling cooking, vegetable and fruit shopping, managing daily house work (which is a LOT) and trying to take care of mom. The responsibilities have reduced as mom recovers and I have a lot of time for myself on my hands which is being used partly for worrying about my future and partly for "chilling out". (for the record, nonsense nightmares continue. the capsicum had become ant infested and the musk melon had become over ripe in my dreams last night)

Overall, the vacations have been interesting. A lot of new experiences (including giving injections!), some learnings and lots and lots of unhealthy food. Let's see what the future holds!

2 Comments:

At June 18, 2006 3:17 PM, Blogger Ink Spill said...

hugs man!
spend the next few days making a list of the goodies you want from lawndawn!

 
At June 18, 2006 6:30 PM, Blogger Mint Chutney said...

(Came here via Flotsam)

I empathize. When my mom had cancer I spent a horrific day/night after she collapsed from an infection. More than the physical exhaustion, the day-to-day mental strain was the worst.

Glad things are getting better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home